In every area of our everyday life, technical systems are getting bigger and more complex. As a result, functional security and data security is increasingly important. ESE’s Assessment Service Center helps manufacturers, operators and public agencies to meet requirements in terms of stability, availability, maintainability and security. The tasks performed in our ASC helps ensure compliance with the most demanding security standards. On any job, our assessors maintain an overview of the entire life cycle of security-related systems. The professionalism and integrity of our assessment work is proven by our accreditation as an inspection centre under ISO/ IEC 17020. Furthermore, we are recognized as an Independent Assessment Body (UBS) of Type C by the Federal Railway Authority. Our company is, of course, ISO 9001 and IRIS certified. Our clients appreciate ASC as a highly competent, reliable partner that takes responsibility for assessment activities on projects. They benefit from our outstanding skills in RAMS management, safety and security engineering and norm-compliant systems development. We assess compliance, functional security and data security:
- Professionalism and sector expertise
- Sound methodological principles
- Independent and impartial
- Client focus
- Compliance with schedules
- Transparent assessment processes
- Clear, unambiguous, timely communication
The regulatory authorities recognise our assessors due to their outstanding knowledge and personal integrity. They collaborate successfully on regulatory assessments and ensure the approval process is efficient.
We have wide-ranging expertise in train control systems, train safety and signalling. We collaborate with designated bodies on European product certifications for interoperability components and EC tests on subsystems.
Verification und Validation
We test design documents for operating systems against the specified requirements and technical signalling regulations. In the case of acceptances, we perform measurements and carry out functional testing to ensure the operating system matches the verified design documents.
We use our security management expertise to ensure the safety process on the project is correctly implemented.
- Safety assessment for EBICAB 500 train safety system (TÜV Süd, Bombardier)
- Safety assessment for the LZB component in the EBICAB 2000 train safety system (Bombardier)
- Safety assessment for bi-standard onboard units (Ansaldo STS)
- Safety assessment for various cab display units (Siemens)
- Validated the Specific Transmission Module (STM) for the Class B ZUB 123 train safety system (Siemens Denmark)
- Safety assessments for block interfaces between electronic signal boxes and relay interlocking (Bombardier)
- Safety assessment for the state-specific customisation of level crossing safety systems (PINTSCH-BAMAG)
- Safety assessment for operator systems
Plan and acceptance testing
- Verkehrs-Aktiengesellschaft Nürnberg (VAG): Plan and acceptance testing
- Stuttgarter Straßenbahn AG (SSB): plan testing
- Kasseler Verkehrsgesellschaft AG (KVG): plan and acceptance testing
- Kölner Verkehrsbetriebe AG (KVB): plan testing
- Dortmunder Stadtwerke (DSW): plan testing
- Verkehrsgesellschaft Frankfurt a. M. (VGF): plan testing
The increasing digitalization and automation of automobiles requires new tasks in the field of safety-relevant development not only for manufacturers, but also for suppliers.We support you in accomplishing these tasks. Take advantage of our comprehensive technical knowledge, methodical know-how and practical experience in these areas:
|Conformity assessment according to international standards||Functional Safety Management, Consulting and Training||Studies on Automotive Systems Safety Engineering|
Conformity assessment according to international standards
Functional Safety Assessments
With our experience with automotive systems and the applicable standards our Functional Safety Assessors, we carry out Functional Safety Assessments at component, item or vehicle level based on the First and Second Edition of ISO 26262. We independently prove compliance of your system with international standards. We accompany you throughout the entire product life cycle, from the development phase through the operating phase to the decommissioning of your safety-relevant components to ensure functional safety.References:
- Electronic steering system [ASIL D]
- Power electronics [ASIL C]
- Electric drive [ASIL C]
- Battery Management System [ASIL C]
Functional Safety Audits
Our professional Functional Safety Auditors will confirm the standard-compliant description and implementation of processes to achieve Functional Safety in your company by carrying out individual or periodic Functional Safety Audits in accordance with ISO 26262. Together, we can identify deviations at an early stage and solve them together.References:
- Battery management system [ASIL C]
- Vehicle Computer (Infotainment) [ASIL B]
- Vehicle computer (highly automated driving) [ASIL D]
Our experts check your documentation artefacts (work products) against the normative requirements. We prove that your documents are complete, accurate and correct according to the requirements set out in ISO 26262. Through the confirmation reviews, we as independent third-party assessors ensure that the confirmation reviews of your artefacts fulfill the highest level of indecencyReferences:
- Reviews of safety plans
- Reviews of hazard analyses and risk assessments for battery management systems
- Reviews of safety cases
- Reviews of impact analyses
- Reviews of safety analyses (e.g. FMEA)
- Reviews of functional and safety concepts
Functional Safety Management, Consulting and Training
With our extensive competence in functional safety management, consulting and training in accordance with ISO 26262, our experts support you in the planning and implementation of all safety activities from QM to ASIL-D compliant development. Together with you, we will correctly implement the safety process in your project for every life cycle phase. If you have a special need, we will offer you individualized training on the relevant standard contents. We also offer you expert support on new topics such as the safety of the intended functionality (SOTIF) as well as cybersecurity. We willadvise you on the efficient implementation of a management system to successfully comply with normative requirements in your development projects.References
- Implementation of Functional Safety Management Systems
- Execution of hazard and risk analyses and definition of safety goals
- Development of functional and technical safety concepts
- Set-up effective organization of distributed developments (Development Interface Agreements)
- Delta analysis between ISO 26262 2011 and 2018
- Trainings on ISO 26262, SOTIF (Safety of the intended functionality) and Cybersecurity
Studies on Automotive Systems Safety Engineering
High automation in particular places completely new demands on the development, approval and operation of vehicles. We contribute our industry-wide experience, or overview of the current state of research and our extensive network of internationally recognized experts. We are happy to conduct practice-oriented research studies for you and help you to answer your questions in a methodical sound manner. Together we contribute to push the boundary of the current state of the art.References
- Study on the positive risk balance of highly automated driving
- Development of a test concept for the concept phase of the development of highly automated driving functions
Our team consists of nationally and internationally experienced and recognized experts in the field of automotive systems safety engineering.
ESE GmbH - Assessment Service Center
Contact us: automotive.asc[at]ese.de
If you would like to know more about the work of our experts, please refer to our recent publications:
Industrial control and automation systems are subject to extremely stringent security and available requirements. The efficiency of the waterways largely depends on the stability, availability, maintainability and security of the control systems. ESE’s ASC helps manufacturers of industrial control and automation systems, and the bodies that manage the waterways and shipping lanes, to satisfy these criteria. We offer our clients a wide range of services.
Risk analyses and assessments
We work with you to analyse the risks to your system, and we document the risk assessment which is customised for your system and the measures taken to minimise risk.
CE conformity assessments
We support you throughout the conformity assessment process so that, before you take your system live, you will have evidence to show that you have complied with the basic health and safety requirements in the machine directive. You can then add the “CE” mark to your system with a clear conscience.
We use our safety assessment skills to confirm that the hardware and software deployed in the industrial control and automation system, particularly in systems for managing waterways and shipping lanes (dams, locks and barrages), works correctly.
Occupational health and safety
We carry out risk assessments on the use of work materials in compliance with the German Ordinance on Industrial Health and Safety. With us, you can be on the safe side in terms of fire and explosion protection and managing hazardous materials in the workplace.
On your behalf, we can put together the operating manuals, operating instructions, assembly and installation guides and maintenance and service manuals which are required if your systems are to run safely.
Assessments for waterways and shipping lane management systems
- New Weserlock Minden (WSA Minden)
- Lock Bolzum (WSA Minden)
- Pump station Bolzum (WSA Minden)
- Lock Langwedel (WSA Minden)
- Lock Altenrheine (WSA Rheine)
Safety certificate for waterways and shipping lane management systems
- Lock Bolzum (WSA Minden)
Plan for waterways and shipping lane management systems
- Lock Bolzum (WSA Minden)
Risk assessments for waterways and shipping lane management systems
- Wieblingen Neckar Dam (ANH Heidelberg)
- New control centre in Hanover (WSA Minden)